Shared waste disposal spares the environment and saves expenses
Shared waste disposal means sharing a waste container between two or more neighbours. Shared waste disposal can be used in both permanent dwellings and holiday homes and it can also be established by a road administrative committee or village committee.
How do I establish a group for shared waste disposal?
With shared waste disposal, two or more properties located close to each other share a waste container between them. The container must only be used by the partners belonging to the group in question. You can establish a group by submitting a written contract to Etappi.
Shared waste disposal can be used in both permanent properties and holiday homes. From the beginning of 2020, Etappi will deliver a new waste container for a group sharing waste disposal, for example, if a larger container is required for shared use. You can also share your existing container, in which case there is no need to deliver a new one. The group is responsible for maintaining the container.
The partners in the group shall appoint a contact person, i.e. a Group Host who will act as the contact person for invoices and in whose yard the shared container will be located. Any changes made to the group require the whole group’s consent and a written agreement.
Shared waste disposal can be established by:
- Neighbouring properties or properties located close to each other
- Road administrative committee
- Village committee
Maximum distances between properties belonging to a group with shared waste disposal
- In a planned area 1 km
- In a rural area 3 km
- The distance between a holiday home and a shared waste container in a rural area must be no more than 10 km
- If the shared container is located in an urban area but the holiday home is located in a rural area, the distance between them must still be no more than 10 km
What can go in a shared container?
You can share a containers for combustible waste and biowaste.
What are the duties of a Group Host?
Every group sharing waste disposal has its own Group Host who acts as the contact person between the partners and Etappi. He or she is responsible for:
- informing Lakeuden Etappi’s customer service team in writing about any new partners that have joined the group. Joining the group must be done in writing, using a form signed by all the members of the group
- informing Etappi about any changes that may affect the collection of rubbish, such as changes to the location of the waste container or how often it is emptied
- making sure that the container is well maintained and that the collection vehicle has unrestricted access to it
The waste disposal invoice for a shared container is based on how often it is emptied. The charges for emptying the container are divided between the households belonging to the group, which usually makes this the most affordable form of waste disposal.
- Year-round groups receive a waste disposal invoice every 2 months
- Groups of summer residences are invoiced once a year in the late autumn
The invoice with the total amount is either sent to the Group Host, who collects each group member’s share of the invoice to pay the total, or it is divided according to invoice percentages in which case Etappi sends each property using the shared container an invoice of their own.
Eco charge directly to each partner in the group
The basic fee for waste management is a dwelling-specific eco charge. Each inhabited property/group partner is sent an invoice directly for this eco charge every four months, unless there are other items to be invoiced. In such a case, the Group Host’s invoice will only show the eco charge for their own property.